The Dog Park will open Friday, May 24th, 2019. Permits are on sale now.
The Town of Chincoteague has completed the Dog Park. It is located on Hallie Whealton Smith Drive adjacent to the Island Nature Trail. You must purchase a permit to utilize the Dog Park. Permits may be purchased at any time at the Town Office or Chincoteague Police Department at 6150 Community Drive. The Dog Park is open dawn to dusk. Anytime the Dog Park is locked it is considered closed. Anyone caught in the Dog Park while it is closed will be prosecuted for trespassing. Trespassing is a class one misdemeanor which is punishable by 12 months in jail and/or a $2,500.00 fine.
The annual permit is $35 for your 1st dog and $5 for each of your other dogs.
The annual permits run from April 15th, 2019 to April 15th, 2020.
Weekly Permits (7 days): $15 for your 1st dog and $5 for each of your other dogs.
Dog Park Rules and Etiquette:
• Dog park will be open from Dawn to Dusk.
• All dogs using the dog park must display a current dog license and proof of vaccination.
• All dogs using the dog park must be at least 4 months old.
• All dogs over 30 pounds must use the large dog area and are NOT permitted in the small dog area.
• Dogs 30 pounds or less must use the small dog area.
• Dog handlers must remain inside the dog park with their dog at all times.
• Dog handlers must be 16 years old or older.
• Dog handlers must be in control and in visual contact with their dog at all times.
• Handlers must follow the double gate protocol when entering and leaving the dog park.
• Dog park gates must be securely closed at all times.
• Children 7 years old and younger are not allowed in the dog park.
• Children older than 7 and less than 16 must be accompanied by a responsible parent or adult.
• Dogs in heat are not allowed in the dog park.
• Dog handlers must clean up after their dog and dispose of dog waste in the designated receptacles.
• Dogs must be on a leash when entering and leaving the dog park.
• Handlers must always carry a leash inside the dog park to impose immediate control over their dog when required.
• Dogs exhibiting aggressive behavior must leave the dog park at the first sign of aggression; a dog consistently exhibiting aggressive behavior on multiple visits is permanently banned from the dog park.
• Dogs that bark continuously must be removed from the dog park.
• Handlers must replace divots and fill any holes caused by their dog.
• A handler is limited to 2 dogs, both of which must remain in the same area of the dog park.
• No animals other than dogs are permitted in the dog park.
• The dog park is a smoke free zone.
• Professional dog trainers may not conduct business in the dog park.
• Glass containers are not permitted in the dog park.
• Dog grooming is not permitted in the dog park.
• No food is permitted in the dog park with the exception of small dog training treats.
• Any dog bite to a human or to another dog must be reported immediately to the Chincoteague Police Department and to 911 should a person require immediate medical attention, and parties involved may not leave the area until the police and EMS (if summoned) arrive.
• Violations of dog park rules may incur fines, revocation of dog park access or other punitive measures.
• Incident reports will be available at the entrance and dog park users are encouraged to report any infraction of the rules or any questionable behavior to the Chincoteague Police Department.
• Handlers bring their dogs to the unleashed area understanding that they are doing so at their own risk.
• Dog handlers and the dog owners, and not the Town of Chincoteague, are fully responsible for any damage or injury caused by their dogs while using the dog park.